Central Virginia
Thomas Jefferson Planning District Commission
Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee Meeting 11/17/2022
Auto-scroll
Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee Meeting
11/17/2022
Attachments
Meeting Agenda 2022-11-17.pdf
Meeting Minutes 2022-11-17.pdf
Sandy Shackelford
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:00:03
I mean this is Ryan's meeting so I feel like I'm kind of taking over at this point.
Ryan Mickles
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:00:09
Are you good?
Sandy Shackelford
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:00:14
Are you good with kind of, is everybody good with keeping it kind of informal since it's a small group today?
00:00:21
Yeah, I think it would also be really helpful to have VDOT be here as part of the SMART SCALE discussion.
00:00:27
I think
00:00:31
You know, the price escalations or the cost escalations were consistently high for all of the projects.
00:00:38
So I know that VDOT is going to be having some conversations, you know, internally sort of to talk about the process as well and to debrief.
00:00:50
I think one of the challenges that we're facing is how can we get sort of better information
00:01:02
or how can we best support a process that helps us make financial decisions about the process or the projects that we're submitting earlier in the process.
00:01:13
I think
00:01:15
You know, it's not really uncommon to take multiple cycles to move projects forward or the first cycle is kind of more of a scoping exercise.
00:01:25
And then, you know, the projects that aren't awarded funding, there's an opportunity to go back and revisit the scope.
00:01:32
But I think one of the conversations we want to have is, are there opportunities to maybe put more thought into really
00:01:41
Targeting the improvements we want to see in scaling back the projects to meet their needs in order to keep the costs as low as possible and to make them as competitive.
00:01:57
But I think that's a conversation that's going to be happening probably in every district and every locality throughout the state.
00:02:05
I don't know, Alberic or Ben?
00:02:07
Sorry Ben, you've been here for like two weeks, but I don't know if you have any thoughts or if you guys have had any conversations you want to add to that.
Ben Chambers
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:02:15
I was curious if you've seen cost estimates from other regions and if they have had the same level of contingency applied to them as that bike pit bridge across the Rivanna.
Sandy Shackelford
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:02:28
The bike head bridge was exceptionally high because it was a very complex project, so that one is probably going to be a little bit of an externality.
00:02:37
I think the other projects though, most of them didn't quite double, but they came pretty close to doubling probably.
Alberic Karina-Plun
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:02:44
Yeah, Mike Barnes said that statewide everything's just super high, especially the contingency and inflation.
00:02:49
They just shot those prices up like crazy.
00:02:51
So there's some projects where they have like huge contingency prices, which obviously like for Rivanna, I think it's like we expected like a $24 million price tag, and it's double that essentially.
00:03:03
And that's because the right-of-way costs, but also they're just like expecting a whole lot of this money to be thrown at it for other random problems.
00:03:12
So
Alberic Karina-Plun
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:03:12
We don't really know what we're going to get and then we also kind of learned that one of our projects was a roundabout at Old Trail and 250 by Western Albemarle High School and
00:03:25
We were like, oh, we can get, we can try to get schools to donate the right of way because part of it is on school land.
00:03:32
And they were not the most, they were for it, they just didn't respond very fast.
00:03:37
So we don't think we got the letter in time for VDOT.
00:03:41
So we definitely learned in the future.
00:03:43
Ask very very early and try to see if we can just squeak out bits and pieces of land here and there to cut down the right-of-way cost because I think for that one the right-of-way cost would have been cut by almost a million dollars if we just acquired school land because that's where the um right about would have been but oh well next time I guess yeah so the the Rivanna River Bridge I mean now the cost estimate is just silly
Peter Krebs
Public Participant, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:04:11
I mean, I'm just being honest.
00:04:13
There's no way.
00:04:15
But the one that really set off a red flag for me where it's like they're having like an indulgence of inflation worry is it was actually the 5th Street multimodal project, which I mean, there's no way like there can be no transportation improvement.
00:04:39
at all anywhere if it's gonna cost like $25 million or whatever that thing is for a quarter mile of improvement.
00:04:48
I mean, I don't know, man.
00:04:52
I mean, we'll see.
00:04:54
Hopefully it's being consistently applied across all districts and projects get built and yay, they come out way under budget and
00:05:09
We learned, but number one, I would hope that at minimum there's consistency about that.
00:05:17
And I just met the CTB rep for the first time a couple of days ago, and he's a really awesome guy.
00:05:25
And I think that's something that at a minimum he can do is request fairness for all the districts.
00:05:35
but then also maybe they'll come to a little bit less pessimistic view about the world.
00:05:46
I mean like that consultant report was like talking about like strip captains going off to fight wars and how we have to account for that in our cost estimates and like it just seemed a bit much, that's all.
Sandy Shackelford
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:06:06
Yeah, I think this is a conversation that's going to be happening on a number of different levels.
00:06:11
So it's going to be happening at the state for them to like evaluate their process and figure out how can we move the best projects forward and how can we be most efficient with our resources, you know, from the state level to support projects that are going to have the highest opportunity to
00:06:27
You know, be selected.
00:06:29
And then I think there's also a conversation that needs to happen at the regional level about, you know, how do we pursue some of these other projects that, you know, outside of maybe the more traditional means like are there other opportunities for to break this into
00:06:42
Phases to help reduce the costs or to find resources in other places.
00:06:46
So there's that conversation.
00:06:48
And then I think there's also the conversation that we have more at the local level about what are the most important things that we're going to achieve and what are we willing to forego in order to
00:07:03
to move at least like the very most important aspects of that project forward.
00:07:08
So I think we're gonna have to address it from all of those different sort of facets.
Alberic Karina-Plun
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:07:17
Listen to your meeting.
SPEAKER_00
00:07:20
Thank you.
00:07:22
I was at the Transportation Research Council meeting yesterday and VDOT is working on a cost estimate estimation system that they plan to
00:07:34
have available next year.
00:07:36
And that will help with estimating like kind of regulating it and making it like systematic for all of the areas.
00:07:44
And it'll help with estimating the planning level costs.
00:07:48
So I think that like they are looking into it already and there is hopefully a solution as far as like equity among the applications and the cost estimates goes.
Alberic Karina-Plun
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:08:02
We're not too optimistic about getting really any of our bike ped projects just because the costs of them are so high.
00:08:09
And like, you're right, Peter, it doesn't make sense that it would cost $25 million or however much it would cost to build a small amount of a shared use path along the street where right away it's like, it's just, it doesn't make sense for VDOT to pour all their money into that rather than, you know, doing VDOT things and
00:08:26
building a bigger intersection, something like that.
00:08:28
So that's just kind of our view here.
00:08:31
We're just like, okay, we'll have to be very, I guess, particular about what kind of projects that we think VDOT's gonna like to see as well.
SPEAKER_05
00:08:44
Right.
Peter Krebs
Public Participant, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:08:45
And by the way, like, in a way, there's kind of no use getting super upset about stuff.
00:08:53
You know, we just,
00:08:55
We don't know.
00:08:56
And January is not that far away.
00:08:58
But it is also a case of like, OK, pay attention.
00:09:04
Now I need to talk to Representative Byers about something I didn't plan to.
00:09:10
But that's OK.
00:09:11
He's an approachable person.
00:09:13
And so we'll see.
00:09:16
So thank you for that.
00:09:18
There's no answer to this question, but I wanted your impression.
Alberic Karina-Plun
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:09:22
Byers a cool guy.
00:09:23
He owns Subaru dealerships in Nova.
00:09:25
I've been to a few.
Sandy Shackelford
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:09:31
Yeah, I think we've all sort of identified that it's a challenge.
00:09:35
And because it's a state process, a lot of it is going to be dependent on what they do moving forward too.
00:09:45
But we can certainly make sure that they're hearing from us as they decide what that process is going to, may or may not look like.
Peter Krebs
Public Participant, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:09:58
Awesome.
00:09:59
By the way, Chris is finally online.
00:10:01
And Ben, do you know everybody that's on this call?
00:10:05
It is a small group, but shouldn't make assumptions about that.
Ben Chambers
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:10:08
Yeah, I have met everybody on the call today.
00:10:11
Awesome.
SPEAKER_05
00:10:12
OK, good.
Sandy Shackelford
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:10:16
Thank you, Peter, for doing what we should have done.
Peter Krebs
Public Participant, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:10:22
I was thinking Ben does know you guys, but no assumptions there.
00:10:37
On that related note, knowing that it would be a small gathering, knowing that Michael and Shackelford wouldn't be here,
00:10:46
I didn't push the word out about this meeting, so it's no surprise that it's a small group and people know each other.
00:10:53
As we approach December and we know a little bit more about who's gonna be there, I could get the word out about the next meeting.
00:11:05
It just seemed like this was gonna be a small one, but maybe short too.
Sandy Shackelford
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:11:09
Yeah, no worries.
00:11:13
Did you wanna talk a little bit about One Map, Ryan?
Ryan Mickles
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:11:17
Sure, Sandy.
00:11:18
And this will be real brief.
00:11:21
Sandy and I, we met with Ruth to discuss some of the sort of attribute tables, part of the One Map process.
00:11:34
It's a little bit more involved than I thought.
00:11:38
I thought it would be just maybe some digitizing, but I think that from our meeting,
00:11:49
It sounds like I'm going to have to look at endpoints and things like that.
00:11:57
I think I have a pretty good idea of what's needed.
00:12:01
I think from a standpoint of starting, I think I'll probably want to start with Albemarle.
00:12:11
I may, Alberic, between now and say the next couple of days, reach out to you just to say, hey, does this look right?
00:12:21
Is this up to date?
00:12:22
It's a lot more intensive than I thought it would be.
00:12:27
But I think that this will be good now that Ben is on board.
00:12:34
From what I hear, I think that
00:12:38
Amanda Poncey and Chris, to some extent, and Kevin Simpkins were in a collaborative effort to get the city GIS information together.
00:12:58
I think it's there in some form.
00:13:01
What we're gonna do, Ben, I know we gave you like a five minute intro to One Map,
00:13:07
the other day when you were here.
00:13:11
Basically Ben, if you can sort of look at where the city is at on your end, I will start with Albemarle because I have the use of Alberic and
00:13:27
Maybe by the time the next meeting, we can move forward with maybe the city, finish up the county and then figure out how best to approach the university.
00:13:41
I'm not sure who at the university participated in this in the past.
Sandy Shackelford
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:13:46
It was Bill Palmer.
Ryan Mickles
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:13:48
Bill Palmer, okay.
00:13:50
So I will also try to reach out to Bill Palmer as well, but I think
00:13:56
With simplicity, I think I'm going to start with Albemarle first if no one objects.
Ben Chambers
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:14:06
That sounds good.
00:14:08
You also may reach out to Patrick Clark at UVA P&T.
00:14:12
He may have some good information for you on the map for UVA stuff.
Ryan Mickles
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:14:17
Thank you, Ben.
Sandy Shackelford
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:14:19
I think we had all of UVA's data, but it's probably a few years old and they're
00:14:25
might be a little more expedient than, you know, other agencies in developing additional infrastructure.
00:14:33
So, yeah.
Ryan Mickles
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:14:42
And yeah, Peter, I'll probably reach out to you, too.
00:14:44
I think you're very knowledgeable.
00:14:46
of Silliman County.
00:14:48
I have a lot of work to do.
00:14:50
So, but yeah, I might reach out to you in the next couple of days as well.
SPEAKER_05
00:15:01
Yeah, that's fair.
Peter Krebs
Public Participant, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:15:03
I've gathered a bunch of resources, for example, the draft attribute table, for example,
SPEAKER_05
00:15:17
and stuff like that I can share.
00:15:22
Okay.
Ryan Mickles
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:15:23
That sounds good, Peter.
00:15:25
I don't know if you still have the packet from the meeting in the summer.
00:15:35
But those are the attributes that I have.
00:15:38
I think it was like two meetings ago.
00:15:42
Those are the attributes that I have.
Peter Krebs
Public Participant, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:15:45
No, you probably captured it at that point already.
00:15:47
No need to be sure.
00:15:51
We did speak about it over the summer, so you probably caught it then.
Ryan Mickles
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:15:58
Yeah, I noticed that there were, you know, a lot of fields that were not completed, but I think from the discussions that the communities had and then talking through
00:16:11
I think I have a good idea that much of that still will be captured.
00:16:19
So yeah, I might have to go back and plug in some data where there is not.
Peter Krebs
Public Participant, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:16:25
Yeah, and then my recommendation would be to keep it really simple, you know, and there are very few things that the One Map needs compared to what the localities need to have as long as
00:16:42
When you're showing back and forth, you're using consistent language.
00:16:49
So when stuff gets passed back and forth, it doesn't get messed up.
00:16:55
But you could strip out probably 9 10ths of those fields, and it will still be fine.
Ryan Mickles
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:17:12
Ben Alberic, I don't know if you all have any thoughts, and Lucinda as well.
Alberic Karina-Plun
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:17:19
I couldn't hear you, sorry.
Ryan Mickles
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:17:22
Yeah, if you had any thoughts on that.
Alberic Karina-Plun
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:17:24
Oh, I mean, if you want to send what you have with the data to the actual table, I can kind of get an idea to see what what methodology you're going to use.
00:17:32
Because I'm kind of curious, because at one point I was like, start from scratch and just draw everything in, I guess by hand, it'll take forever.
00:17:39
But like, that's the way to do it, I guess.
00:17:42
But I want to see kind of how you're approaching it so I can have an idea of what kind of data and what kind of things I can pull as well.
00:17:48
So if you want to send me a shape file or something like that, that'd be great.
Ryan Mickles
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:17:52
Yeah, you know, one thing I was curious, Alberic, do you know how many projects have been built, new construction projects, in the county, probably around the development area, or the county's development area, not the city?
00:18:10
How many of those projects include, say, sidewalks or,
Alberic Karina-Plun
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:18:16
I'll have to check on that.
00:18:19
I don't know off the top of my head.
00:18:21
Kevin, probably no, but I mean, that's one thing we're working on heavily, like sidewalk and shared these paths stuff.
00:18:29
It's going to grow in theory one day, the amount of stuff, but as all things happen slowly, but I can check on that and get back to you because I think we do have some layers that have sidewalk and shared-use path data.
00:18:44
The accuracy of it is
00:18:47
Here it's decent.
00:18:50
I would definitely go back and look at aerial imagery or even just go places and just see what kind of stuff's out there because some of it's wrong.
00:18:58
But I can get back to you on that and see like how many products we have that are sidewalk to mostly sidewalk and start use path focus projects that you're looking for.
Ryan Mickles
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:19:07
Yeah, you know, I don't know, sometimes when like a developer comes in, they'll put in say a sidewalk or a section of Sheridan's Path along the frontage of a side property or something like that.
00:19:22
And I know that that information has not been updated with the jazz fellas that I have, but it's only like in the past, maybe a year, I think the county data
00:19:37
It's like a year and a half old.
00:19:41
So it's only maybe through construction projects.
00:19:45
Also, I don't know if the county has put in any facilities maybe not associated with a construction project.
00:19:54
I think about,
00:19:56
Two or three months ago, Kevin McDermott mentioned that the city, I mean, that the county had constructed maybe some segments of sidewalk, maybe in the Ivy Road area.
00:20:10
Yeah, remember that.
00:20:11
Yeah, so like those little things I will not have right now, but just not a project for today or this week, but just keep that in mind.
00:20:22
Any of those types of projects, whether it's bike facilities or pedestrian facilities, either associated with a new construction project or just out of the counties.
Alberic Karina-Plun
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:20:34
Yeah, I should track those so we know kind of what's happening in the pipeline as well.
00:20:38
So that's a good point.
00:20:39
I can, I'll look at that and kind of, you know, see what products and stuff.
00:20:44
Because yeah, we usually try to, especially like
00:20:47
Are you all adding those as map layers now?
Sandy Shackelford
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:21:01
Like if there's a new sidewalk or a new shared use path?
00:21:04
Like as those come in are those being updated as map layers?
Alberic Karina-Plun
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:21:08
That's probably a GDS question I can ask them.
00:21:10
I don't, you guys specifically, I mean, I usually just do stuff for transportation, like as we need things, I can ask, but if they add stuff, otherwise they'll be a good layer to have so that we can track the stuff as well.
00:21:25
And then that can be something that I work on in the next coming months as well.
00:21:28
So we can have a working document of where we know things are happening.
Sandy Shackelford
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:21:35
Yeah, because I think there are a couple of challenges that we're working through.
00:21:39
First of all, it's like, how do we combine the data from multiple sources into one document?
00:21:44
The second is verifying the accuracy of the information we already have.
00:21:49
So that might be a future phase.
00:21:50
And then the third phase is, how do we make sure that we're continuing to update the information on an ongoing basis?
Alberic Karina-Plun
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:22:00
And I agree.
00:22:01
So I'm just writing this down.
Chris Gensic
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:22:05
And that can help, Ben.
00:22:06
I've got the city trails layer, I think, is pretty much ready to go.
00:22:12
If Ben needs help looking at the layout of the shapefile, and I'm not sure what Amanda had going on.
00:22:19
For the county, like to that question, I know Avon Street's getting all sorts of new sidewalk all the way from Mountain View Elementary now.
00:22:26
I forget the name that used to be kale coming in almost, not quite to the city limit, but to the interstate at least.
00:22:34
So how those get added when they get built, I don't know how that happens in the county.
Alberic Karina-Plun
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:22:40
Yeah, again, I can look at those and start something or if you want to send your shape file, I can make a few edits in the back.
00:22:48
Whatever works best for you, basically.
Peter Krebs
Public Participant, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:22:53
Yeah, so I mean, I think this is sort of exactly the discussion we want.
00:23:01
So thinking about like,
00:23:04
Albemarle County's Avon Street sidewalk projects, for example.
00:23:10
Those getting built, when the One Map is working, those getting built would be like part of a quarterly or a biennial update because those sidewalks already should be sent on the One Map as a planned facility.
00:23:26
So it's just a status change in the attribute table rather than like having to be like,
00:23:33
you know, building the park and ride facility, for example, you know, that's in the county.
00:23:41
Maybe it'll end, I guess it's a city project, but like knowing how that's gonna fit into the puzzle without even having to ask the county, although you will want to ask the county about that just for verification, but your initial ask, your initial investigation would be simply like, okay, we're building this thing
00:24:03
We have a vague idea.
00:24:05
There's going to be a shared use path.
00:24:07
We're going to have a bus stop.
00:24:09
How can this stuff all fit together?
00:24:11
So when the facility does get built, it just falls right into place.
Alberic Karina-Plun
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:24:22
Lots of work to do, I guess.
00:24:23
How long has that been going on now?
00:24:25
How long has this process been?
Peter Krebs
Public Participant, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:24:27
I started in 2019 and there were conversations happening.
Sandy Shackelford
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:24:35
Ryan's job is to at least get the base map done.
Peter Krebs
Public Participant, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:24:41
It seems super intimidating, but there was work done.
00:24:49
I think it's just an investigation to find where that stuff is.
00:24:56
Sorry to keep preaching and hugging the microphone, but the whole point is like when we did the bike ped plan, we had to do this investigation, you know, to find every facility.
00:25:10
And this way, we're just doing this investigation one time.
00:25:14
And that resource will be there for like, you know, every
00:25:19
Iteration, it'll be a key piece for the county's transportation plan.
00:25:25
It'll be a key piece of the city's mobility plan when that happens and just make things easier.
Alberic Karina-Plun
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:25:39
Was there anything else you wanted to discuss other than One Map?
Ryan Mickles
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:25:44
No, that's all for One Map.
00:25:46
I think, you know, we'll just
00:25:50
Keep each other updated in the next couple of weeks.
00:25:54
I know the holiday's coming up.
00:25:56
So probably in two weeks, you'll see some product on this thing.
SPEAKER_05
00:26:01
So.
SPEAKER_08
00:26:03
OK, cool.
Ryan Mickles
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:26:12
In general, I don't know if Ben or Alberic or Peter, I know you've had
00:26:18
I think two meetings, two Alliance meetings since this group met, but Ben, Alberic, with the raised grant, I don't know if you all, or Lucinda, if you all have anything that you want to share.
00:26:34
Chris?
Alberic Karina-Plun
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:26:37
I can go.
00:26:37
I mean, our main glory now, obviously, Kevin's spread very thin, so things have been changing around here rapidly.
00:26:47
But right now we're kind of working our main focus the next few months is going to be doing our prioritization of all the projects we have in the county.
00:26:57
So that's going to be a multi-week affair of us, me coming to Jessica, sitting in a room and just going project by project and just assigning values.
00:27:08
I appreciate watching the yesterday Sandy, that one with the
00:27:12
Consultants, I like how they approach stuff.
00:27:14
So I want to use some of their data and methods to do the safety things.
00:27:18
And I'm also going to watch how the city did their prioritization to kind of see what they're doing as well.
00:27:23
But on our end, that's, I think, our major focus right now, and also working with the long range team to kind of work on the multimodal plan whenever that starts happening.
Ben Chambers
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:27:37
I'd say from the city's perspective the main update is me probably.
00:27:41
The second update would be that we are trying to hire a bike ped coordinator.
00:27:47
We're trying to get that job position through our HR department so that we will have somebody who will be able to address those things more directly unlike me who's sort of spread across all of the modes.
00:27:58
We are working through a prioritization process right now using a GAP grant so we're doing a similar
00:28:06
The process is what the CA-MPO is doing and also pushing forward on taking care of some safe routes to school projects to make sure that we're still getting kids to school by bike and ped due to the fact that we don't have enough school buses running service in our city.
00:28:24
So all things still going on, still getting caught up on some of the happenings around the city.
00:28:31
So I'll probably have more to report next time.
Chris Gensic
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:28:40
And I can add the Washington Park bike ramp, ADA connector from Madison Avenue off of Rose Hill Drive down towards Madison Avenue by Preston.
00:28:56
We had our pre-bid meeting, so it's out for construction.
00:29:00
We had four contractors actually show up, which is great because I've had projects that nobody shows up to even try to build.
00:29:08
So we had a few questions and then I guess we get our bids come back in in like two weeks.
00:29:15
And so the idea is that gets constructed over the winter and opens up sometime in the spring.
00:29:20
So that'll be a nice connection between the two Madison's.
00:29:24
And also it appears the city has got the money and almost all the lights are green to acquire piece of land on the opposite bank of Moore's Creek from Azalea Park at Old Lynchburg Road near the interstate.
00:29:39
and we're talking with the next property upstream, which is the University Credit Union.
00:29:44
This would connect the Azalea Park, Old Lynchburg Road area with shared use path right into the Wegmans Trail Hub area.
00:29:55
So these two projects might have some simultaneous, you know, it might be three years out for construction, but the pieces of land that
00:30:06
We've not been able to get any traction on for a while.
00:30:08
All of a sudden, both of them might be turning on pretty soon for city ownership.
00:30:12
And that would really extend the Morse Creek Trail system up Creek from the 5th Street Hub proposed project locations.
00:30:21
And I'm also finally getting easements from the Wegmans property that we need for the 5th Street Hub.
00:30:26
And I discussed with Tim the possibility of
00:30:32
Some property acquisitions on the city side of the creek there that we had been talking about four years ago when this project started and they never went anywhere.
00:30:40
And all of a sudden the property owners are like, yeah, you know what, you know, maybe, maybe we can find a way to get that property over to the city.
00:30:50
So I think when we reconvene on the hub project, we'll find out if any of that affects what is going to happen with the fifth street hub project and how that all ties together.
Peter Krebs
Public Participant, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:31:08
So somebody said maybe it was that MPO Tech that actually the HUB project was about to start.
00:31:15
Are there any updates or like what's next for that, what that means?
Sandy Shackelford
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:31:29
I don't know that anybody on this, there probably are, but I don't know that any of us on this meeting have that information.
Peter Krebs
Public Participant, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:31:38
Yeah, I was like, wow, I mean, it's cool and it's too bad it's happening now instead of like maybe one year quicker because I think that's gonna be a great case study about what happens as far as cost compared to what initial estimates were.
00:31:56
So we're gonna find out right away about like, you know, how much of the factor inflation really is.
Sandy Shackelford
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:32:07
Yeah, I think we're kind of in, you know, this is the joke, right?
00:32:12
Like we're constantly in unprecedented times, right?
00:32:14
And the joke is like, can you go back to the time that wasn't unprecedented?
00:32:19
I think there are like very real inflation factors that are in place right now and cost escalations due to like the supply chain disruptions and things like that.
00:32:29
So it's also possible that,
00:32:31
The actual costs for project implementation currently are really high, but that they won't necessarily remain that high in the future.
00:32:40
That may or may not be true for projects that are being implemented right now.
Peter Krebs
Public Participant, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:32:47
Yeah, the ship captains may actually get back on their ships and it's all okay.
SPEAKER_08
00:32:52
Yeah.
Peter Krebs
Public Participant, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:32:54
I know, Chris, maybe, I mean, we need you in your job, but captaining a ship might be kind of fun.
00:33:01
Maybe we could help our projects by going and captaining some ships through the Suez Canal for a while.
SPEAKER_08
00:33:09
Sure.
Sandy Shackelford
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:33:09
I'll also say, I mean, I think this was across all the construction sectors, too.
00:33:18
I think I saw a headline that, you know,
00:33:21
One of the, like for this exact same project with no adjustments from, you know, an estimate a year ago for a building that Nelson County was looking at that the new cost estimates are now two and three times higher than what they were originally.
Peter Krebs
Public Participant, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:33:33
Yeah, I mean, I'm harping on the Fifth Street Trail HUD because we were wildly optimistic about the cost.
00:33:44
Then we had this reality check and it was adjusted.
00:33:48
you know, maybe appropriately.
00:33:50
So this like whatever it was $1.5 million became $8 million and that could be appropriate.
00:34:00
That could be okay.
00:34:02
So it's like interesting to like see this test and hopefully it doesn't wind up being $17 million instead of $8 million.
Sandy Shackelford
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:34:10
Fair, yeah.
00:34:12
There's always that possibility too, I guess.
Ryan Mickles
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:34:24
Yeah, Lucinda, I didn't know if you had any updates or anything you wanted to share.
00:34:36
Well, I think that the, so the next meeting, I guess, December, we're approaching Christmas.
00:34:47
Does the group want to meet maybe a week before or when,
00:34:53
When is a good time for the group to be?
00:34:57
I think that, so Juwan from CAT had agreed to speak before the group.
00:35:09
He could not get for this month, but offered December.
00:35:17
I know it's getting close to the holiday,
00:35:20
Does the group still want to meet in December at your regular time?
00:35:25
It is by Zoom.
00:35:26
So, and then if so, I could wait until January.
Alberic Karina-Plun
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:35:35
Okay.
00:35:35
I'm fine with that as well.
00:35:37
I mean, I'm partial to either one.
00:35:40
Okay.
Peter Krebs
Public Participant, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:35:41
I'll point out that the next scheduled meeting, because the way the calendar pauses, it's actually relatively early.
00:35:48
It's the 15th.
00:35:50
So I mean, December is generally busy, but it's not like it's right up against Christmas.
Ryan Mickles
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:35:59
And Peter, I apologize.
00:36:00
I did not go to the mobility alliance meeting, but I don't know if you wanted to maybe
00:36:14
I have a discussion about that, whether today or at a future meeting.
00:36:19
Any updates on that end?
Peter Krebs
Public Participant, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:36:22
Yeah, so a great question.
00:36:26
So there's no necessary implication out of that gathering.
00:36:34
We talked about really sort of grassroots-y type stuff.
00:36:38
But there is one thing that is of interest
00:36:42
to two items of interest really.
00:36:44
So first of all, we have a date for the annual mobility summit and that's Friday, February 24th.
00:36:53
Save that date on your calendar.
00:36:56
And then the other item that was released, this is Charlottesville specific, but the move to health equity released a report that I wrote actually about mobility in Charlottesville.
00:37:12
So I'll post a link to that in the chat as well.
Sandy Shackelford
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:37:18
Thank you.
00:37:23
Just as a heads up, it looks like the criminal transportation board meeting in January should be on like the 17th slash 18th, something like that.
00:37:33
That's when they announced the staff recommended SMART SCALE projects for funding.
00:37:43
I think it also overlaps with a number of other meetings, so we may or may not be able to listen in live to hear the big reveal, but I'll try to follow that.
SPEAKER_08
00:37:59
Thank you.
Alberic Karina-Plun
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:38:02
Would be fine and stressful.
Sandy Shackelford
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:38:05
Maybe we'll all be surprised.
Alberic Karina-Plun
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:38:08
Watch the lottery numbers go by.
00:38:10
I'm pretty confident that we'll have at least one or two projects funded.
SPEAKER_08
00:38:23
So you can place your bets on which projects you think stand the best chance.
Peter Krebs
Public Participant, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:38:29
We've done well in the past.
00:38:34
Honestly, maybe better than we should have when you look at the collective regions.
Sandy Shackelford
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:38:41
Yeah.
00:38:42
So this can be a learning year.
00:38:43
It's nothing else.
Peter Krebs
Public Participant, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:38:44
Exactly.
00:38:45
Take a step back and it comes out average, right?
Sandy Shackelford
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:38:48
Sure.
00:38:49
Yeah, exactly.
Ryan Mickles
Member, Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordination Committee
00:38:55
Well, I have nothing further.
00:38:58
Thank you all for attending and we'll reconvene in January.
SPEAKER_08
00:39:06
All right.
00:39:07
Thanks, everyone.
00:39:08
Have a good day.
SPEAKER_05
00:39:10
Thanks, everybody.